So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

1893 Fitzsimmons vs. Hall Match in New Orleans

After talking with Jeff, I think this 38mm aluminum piece could be considered as a SCD.  John Raymond thinks so and already has it on his site (unlisted #311). The piece is listed in Russ Rulau's token book. Given the boxing medals (HK-9, 10a, 272, 276, 277) already included in the SCD series, I think this piece fits nicely in that boxing series. As mentioned on John Raymond's site, there is a very nice article on the numismatics of boxing in the July 2015 Numismatist (which describes this medal in the first paragraph on page 40 (with the exception of a bad typo... Jim Hall, not Jim Hee)) but does not include a picture. The fight referenced on this SCD pitted Bob Fitzsimmons against Australian Jim Hall, someone whom Fitzsimmons had fought several times prior in his career with mixed results. Fitzsimmons won the middleweight 1893 fight and went on soon after to capture the heavyweight fight in Carson City in 1897 (see HK-276/277). Fitzsimmons is famous as the sports first light-middle-and-heavyweight world champion, a rare feat.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-unlst-1893-R-NA-NO-15-Hall-Fitzsimmons-3.jpg

Interesting post... https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=26&threadid=949939&highlight_key=y&keyword1=Convair

Any opinions if this 38mm aluminum piece could/should be considered as a SCD ? John Raymond thinks so and already has it on his site (unlisted #311). The piece is listed in Russ Rulau's token book. Given the boxing medals (HK-9, 10a, 272, 276, 277) already included in the SCD series, I think this piece fits nicely in that boxing series. As mentioned on John Raymond's site, there is a very nice article on the numismatics of boxing in the July 2015 Numismatist (which describes this medal in the first paragraph on page 40 (with the exception of a bad typo... Jim Hall, not Jim Hee)) but does not include a picture. The fight referenced on this SCD pitted Bob Fitzsimmons against Australian Jim Hall, someone whom Fitzsimmons had fought several times prior in his career with mixed results. Fitzsimmons won the middleweight 1893 fight and went on soon after to capture the heavyweight fight in Carson City in 1897 (see HK-276/277). Fitzsimmons is famous as the sports first light-middle-and-heavyweight world champion, a rare feat. edited by rjesinger on 10/30/2015

This is a nice looking piece. Took me 6 years of searching before I found one which is in my collection as a so called dollar. Which gives you my vote as a yes. Hard to find piece though. I think it comes very close to an R-8