So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

1952 Fairbanks AK Discovery 50th Anniversary

Unlisted piece celebrating Alaska Gold

Uploaded files:
  • HK-Unlst-1952-Fairbanks.jpg

I found this for sale w/ Duane Feisel at the 2017 WESTS Token show in Jackson, CA. Its funny when one finds in the oddest places. The following commentary is from Alex Pacheco of Tipisco Coin that describes this piece that could be considered an unlisted SCD: ---- An interesting commentary on the whims of fate: I had gone 30 years in the Pacific Northwest without ever laying eyes on this token. No sooner than had a dealer friend of mine with even MORE Northwest experience found one of these in Portland, Oregon, then I found the exact same piece - in California of all places. The two were definitely NOT from the same source, so no hoard has suddenly emerged. Regardless, an interesting piece commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the discovery of the Fairbanks, Alaska gold fields by Felix Pedro. Issued by the Pioneers of Alaska, Igloo #4, of Fairbanks. The "Pioneers" are the Alaska equivalent of the Native Sons of the Golden West from California. Unlisted in Hibler & Kappen. While it is a bit of a stretch to consider it inclusive of Part One of the So Called Dollar listings, it would fit into Part Two: "Medals of Local Significance" as a memorial to an event that basically put Alaska on the U. S. general population's radar screen, and launched the last popular "Gold Rush". Struck in Aluminum, 36mm, with a gold colored "wash" or finish.