So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

1984 New Orleans World's Fair

The 1984 World's Fair, held in New Orleans, LA, was held to promote "A world of rivers -- fresh water as a source for life." It seemed like a reasonable place for a fair, given the rich fishing along the Gulf of Mexico and New Orleans reputation for being a good host city. Unfortunately, attendance was not enough for the fair to be a financial success. Attached is one of the aluminum so-called produced during the fair. In hand, it reminds me of many of the Mardi Gras items like HK-579 to HK-581. I plan to post more SCDs from this fair under this post. Seems like the '82 Knoxville and '84 New Orleans fairs are the end of the run of fairs in America ... seems like the USA isn't paying dues to be part of world's fairs these days...

Uploaded files:
  • MSCD-1984-New-Orleans-Fair-Al-1.jpg
  • MSCD-1984-New-Orleans-Fair-Al-2.jpg
TeacherBrian has reacted to this post.
TeacherBrian

Here is a piece I have for the TN fair.

Another potential piece for consideration is this Vatican Pavilion piece from the 1984 New Orleans World's Fair. It has small lettering "W.Germany" on the obverse at about 7 o'clock... so perhaps if it were made outside the US, it might not qualify as a SCD even thought it measures 38mm.

Uploaded files:
  • MSCD-1984-New-Orleans-Vatican-Pavilion.jpg

Another interesting medal from the '84 fair.... China Pavillion

Uploaded files:
  • MSCD-1984-New-Orleans-WF-China-Pav.jpg
TeacherBrian

This set is interesting as it has SCD redesigns of the 1884 fair (obverse) paired with the 1984 fair theme.

Uploaded files:
  • 1884-1984-Commem.jpg
TeacherBrian
Quote from Pioneer on December 29, 2012, 5:00 pm

The 1984 World's Fair, held in New Orleans, LA, was held to promote "A world of rivers -- fresh water as a source for life." It seemed like a reasonable place for a fair, given the rich fishing along the Gulf of Mexico and New Orleans reputation for being a good host city. Unfortunately, attendance was not enough for the fair to be a financial success. Attached is one of the aluminum so-called produced during the fair. In hand, it reminds me of many of the Mardi Gras items like HK-579 to HK-581. I plan to post more SCDs from this fair under this post. Seems like the '82 Knoxville and '84 New Orleans fairs are the end of the run of fairs in America ... seems like the USA isn't paying dues to be part of world's fairs these days...

My good high school friend, an exchange student from Germany (we had graduated in '81), met me in New Orleans that summer as I had a job roustabouting on oil rigs in the Gulf -- we both went to that Fair.  Perhaps it was more fun for me because Nola is my hometown!

Quote from Pioneer on August 15, 2020, 12:15 pm

Another interesting medal from the '84 fair.... China Pavillion

Very nice!  Do we know who Zach is?