So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Alaska Statehood 1959

I traveled to Anchorage, AK in May 2011 and saw the Alaska Statehood Memorial downtown overlooking the train station. While HK-527 (photo attached) seems closest in relation to the monument, the Mishler issues (HK-528-536) and the Alaska Music Festival (HK-575/6) seem like collectable pieces in relation to Alaska's "emergence on the scene." The 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Expo pieces are also something I have been looking at since the trip. The trolly tour of downtown was very informative, and the history and entire trip made me think about going back for a vacation. If you ever get the chance to go to Alaska, I must say it is an interesting place. We took a long drive down to Seward, AK and wound up in the historic mercantile store there that served as the main entry/exit of Alaska gold. The owner's great grandfather started the place, and there is a 100+ year old historic bank there. It's interesting to realize the parallels between the California Gold Rush and that in Alaska. Anchorage got its name since ships "anchored" there to deliver goods. Does anyone have any interesting Alaska stories in relation to So Called Dollars?

Uploaded files:
  • HK-527.jpeg