So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-1009 Utah 50th Anniv Pioneer Jubilee

HK-1009 Thread....

I think most of us know the rarity of this piece. I once bid $2500 on one and still was outbid. That's crazy to me. Anyway, I thought you'd find this exhibit cool: http://www.dupinternational.org/jubilee/exhibit.htm Some interesting medals are included in this exhibit. edited by rjesinger on 1/16/2013

Figured this is as good a place as any for the current pop 1 of this SCD.

I was pretty lucky to get this recently....

Uploaded files:
  • Hk-1009A_2.jpg

Jeff told me that the price swing on these HK-1009 pieces is huge. He's seen prices from $300 all the way to $2500. He told me a great story about finding one in the bottom of a box at a coin show one time....

Well, thanks to Jeff, this item is now in our hands. It's silver, has really nice blue toning with proof surfaces when tilted in the light, and happens to be the plate coin from the first H&K book. I recently read an article on proof coins in a recent issue of a coin magazine... describing how older proof coins where "proof" due to the very sharp details of the strike ("squared off"), flashy surfaces, etc... as opposed to today's modern version with frosted / mirrored surfaces. This piece has a nice strike and pretty toning that is educational to look at. Thanks to Bill Weber and previous owners for preserving it for future generations. edited by rjesinger on 7/19/2014

ATTACHED ARE PICTURES OF MY HK-1009A NGC GRADED UNCIRCULATED DETAILS OBVERSE CLEANED.

THERE ARE ONLY TEN OF THIS TYPE GIVEN A FULL GRADE IN THE NGC CENSUS AS OF 8/2019, WITH (1) MS 61 BEING THE ONLY FULL GRADE UNCIRCULATED OF THIS TYPE.

A RAW AU EXAMPLE SOLD FOR $2,530.00 IN A STACKS BOWERS AUCTION IN 2008.

UTAH, 50th ANNIVERSARY OF SETTLEMENT 1897.

A very rare Hibler-Kappen variety that celebrates the 50th anniversary of the founding of Salt Lake City. The obverse depicts the Salt Lake Temple and small busts of Woodruff, Cannon, and Smith. The reverse exhibits the Brigham Young Monument and an encampment view. Satiny and untoned with moderate field hairlines.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-1009A-OBVERSE.jpg
  • HK-1009A-REVERSE.jpg