So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-148 Variety Question

I was wondering if any of you might comment on this piece. It seems like a variety of HK-148, but the reverse is different from what was in the book. Do any of you own one like this? I presume it is a valid so-called dollar variety piece, but I didn't see it on John Raymond's site... nor did I see it on the "New Discoveries" section of the official SCD H+K book website. This piece has prices in the $200-$300 range in the past. Thank you.

Uploaded files:
  • Type-I-Storer-1554.jpg

Here is another piece related to HK-148; one catalog that has all three is the Malcolm Storer "Numismatics of Massachusetts"; this piece is cataloged as Storer-1553:

Uploaded files:
  • Type-III-Storer-1553.jpg

Here are some photos of other different white metal pieces (Storer-1554 on a ribbon vs. HK-148):

Uploaded files:
  • HK-148.jpg
  • Type-I-on-Ribbon.jpeg

Bob, This is a so called that I have extensively researched and written about. The Pilgrim Society HK-13,14&15 proposed a National Monument to the Forefathers in 1819. They actually laid the cornerstone for this monument on Aug 2, 1859..The Civil War dried up all funding well into the 1880's. This entire monument was surrounded by much controversy. Thru the 1775-to 1805 period the "Forefathers" was the name in use for the Pilgrims. After 1805 is when the terms Pilgrims started being used. This project always was the Pilgrims Societys' but in the 1880s the project was hijacked by the Fedderal Government and they took the heavy handed approach they often do deciding that it should be a National Monument. What happened in the resulting controversy resulted in three tokens using this obverse. The President and the National Delegation issued this so called you are referring to here I refer to it as a Type1 and is probably an R-8. The HK-148 in the book was issued by the Mssachusetts State Delegation headed by the Massachusetts governor and the reverse used is the State Seal of Massachusetts. I refer to it as Type2 and is an R-7. The Pigrim Society feeling misused and hijacked rebuked the Feds, and the State and issued their e own version more adapted to their original plans plans laid out at the Aug 2, 1859 groundbreaking. They changed the motto on the obverse to read "monument to the Pilgrims". For the reverse they used a wreath and inside a picture of Pilgrim Rock with the date 1620 on it. I refer to it as Type3 and is an R-8. What is strange is that I have been able to secure the same one that you pictured here and the Monument to the Pilgrims Type 3 but I still haven't been able to acquire the HK-148 listed in the book. o

I was wondering if any of you might comment on this piece. It seems like a variety of HK-148, but the reverse is different from what was in the book. Do any of you own one like this? I presume it is a valid so-called dollar variety piece, but I didn't see it on John Raymond's site... nor did I see it on the "New Discoveries" section of the official SCD H+K book website. This piece has prices in the $200-$300 range in the past. Thank you. edited by rjesinger on 12/15/2012

Bill, your research is fantastic information.  Thank you for posting it.  I guess if a collector owns HK-148, there are two more varieties to have as well.

I was recently able to get a photo of a bronze version of Type I - Storer-1554.  Malcolm Storer's book references it in bronze.  Now I wonder if it was ever made in silver.

Uploaded files:
  • Storer-1554-Bronze.jpeg
  • Unlisted-HK-148.jpg