So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-182a silver

Joseph Levine documented two different dies for this series. I have his documentation somewhere, but I have not spent any time studying the series myself. I do know that Jeff has at least one silver piece from this series. I forget which one, but it was a choice piece and definitely silver. The series is ripe for a detailed study.

John Raymond in his notes on his tally site gives a full pararagraph devoted to silver plate and solid silver Exhibition Palace So Calleds. He ends with the sentence that we'll probably not know if any solid silver pieces exist until/unless somebody is able to do an accurite gravity density test. I don't know if this issue is solved yet and I missed it but I've seen nothing in the discussion boards to indicate that it has been solved. Last week I broke my tenet about never buying worn, bent, corroded dug filler pieces and bought a HK-182 Columbian Exhibition palace dollar. It is thin, the edge is worn, the rim is worn, Columbus's head is smooth almost flat with the field, the lettering and the wreath is worn and the Government Building on the reverse is worn and almost flat with the field. Appears to be a pocket piece that was in someones pocket and rubbed daily for 70 years or so. But it does show conclusively to be solid silver and not plated. Unusual because HK-182 is not listed as one of the silver plated or silver pieces in the 2nd Edition. Anyway, there are or is at least one solid silver piece. ,

While these pictures aren't ideal, they show the Oregon PPIE SCD in its original wooden box. I can't recall exactly, but I think the wood used to make these boxes came from Oregon Lumber....

It is probably worth mentioning that the silver HK-182 was struck with a different obverse die than the picture on the 2nd Edition web site that I get to going thru John Raymonds homepage web site. The wreath is totally different. On the silver obverse die the last leaf on the left side tip of wreath ends under the 'C'. On the 2nd edition web picture the tip of the wreath ends under the'.' (the period) On the silver obv die the last leaf right side tip of the wreath ends under the 'N'. On the 2nd edition web picture the tip of the wreath ends unde the 'A'