So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-243B GILT???

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN THIS TYPE OF SO-CALLED DOLLAR IN GILT? I THINK THE GILT SURFACE LOOKS POSSIBLY AUTHENTIC. JOHN RAYMOND'S UPDATED 2018 TABULATION SHOWS (2) OF THIS TYPE MEDAL IN "GOLD PLATE", (1) AU AND (1) UNC.

I SENT IT TO NGC FOR GRADING AND IT CAME BACK IN A BODY BAG, AS THEY DID NOT BELIEVE THAT THE GILT PLATING WAS AUTHENTIC. WHAT DOES THE FORUM HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS?

Uploaded files:
  • HK-243B-GILT-OBVERSE.jpg
  • HK-243B-GILT-REVERSE.jpg

Bruce: Did you bring this piece up at the recently/just concluded So Called Dollar annual meeting? Bill G

I really like this piece. I submitted a good piece of my collection for grading last month and put in a half dozen off metal pieces and they only graded 1 and returned the other 5 pieces. But got 6 new top pop pieces.

Billy,

I was not able to attend this year. Hope to be able to attend next year.

i think authentic. 3 of mine returned same reason i had an Americans Airlines Jet Dollar that was gold plated last month. i got it it from the retired American Airlines Stewardess in the inaugral trip. She is still alive. Got her gold token, all her memorandum and tickets and menus and passenger lists which are impressive as well as a book she wrote about the first flight in her memoirs. But NGC returned it in a body bag even though was given to her gold on day of flight

Bill G

Jeff and Bill's new book lists many gold-plated (gilt) pieces as authentic... so eventually anyone can resubmit to the major grading services and get an SH number on it.  Bruce, thank you for bringing the gilt HK-243B to the 2023 SCD gathering !