So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-364A

Not following this--there is no HK-364a just a HK-364. Are you making up your own A in the number? Bill

I have found an HK-364A coin in fair shape. Any idea what it's worth or where would be a good place to sell it?

I have corresponded with the poster on another site. The number 364a appears on the so-called dollar website but not in the book. The piece, however, is actually 365.

Axel Ulen has reacted to this post.
Axel Ulen

RUSH TO THE ROCKIES HK 545 MODERN RESTRIKES IN GOLD & SILVER - ALERT!! ALL SCD COLLECTORS ? PLEASE READ!! As a Co-Editor of the Second Edition release of So-Called Dollars, and a Colorado resident, I took it upon myself while doing research prior to the release of the book on all Colorado related So-Called Dollars, to compile as much information as possible to help update the book?s content. In doing so, I found the nephew of the man that originally had the HK545 dollars struck. This has now been several years ago, prior to the book?s release. This nephew was handling the estate and caring for the widow of the original maker of these medals, Mr. Leroy Bisterfeld. The first edition book had stated (and so does the second edition) that the dies apparently not been destroyed, yet was ?asserted? that no more medals would be produced. It was also stated that 101 gold medals were struck. None of these, to my knowledge, have ever become available to the collecting community. It is my opinion, based upon the method and purity of striking and in the year 1959 (gold ownership??), that these were not originally privately produced at all. I have had much contact with this nephew since then. He provided me with copies of his uncle?s original sketches of these medals. My inquisitions had helped him locate about 500 of the nickel-silver medals in a cloth bag in his uncle?s house, of which he allowed me to buy some. About a year after we first met, he called and said he had located the dies, and asked if I wanted to see them. I visited him, took pictures of the dies in the original box from a Chicago area manufacturer, and made him a very nice offer for them which he promptly refused. In the next few years, I kept in contact and would call and ask if he had interest in selling the dies yet. He refused every time. Two weeks ago, I was contacted by this nephew. He said he had located 10 of the gold ones, and also 5 silver ones (none have ever been stated to have been struck in silver) and wanted to give me first opportunity to buy these. I said it was very interesting, but I wanted to do some research based upon the details he had provided about the strikings he had ?discovered?. I did a bunch of digging. His details provided did not match up with the way they would have been struck in 1959. There were many inconsistencies in his details and his related story. After a few days of research and talking with others on this, I decided to try and see the medals. I called him back, told him I was interested, and before I could make an offer on such rare medals, I would have to have some conditions established. I told him I would like to see the medals, the original dies and have an expert that strikes medals for a living look at them. He quickly stated, ?Oh, John, I had those dies sitting on the kitchen table and my grandkids knocked them off and one of them is broken now.? He had told me a few days prior that the dies were in the safe box? I told him we would probably still be able to make a decision on them, even with one die broken. He backed away, and said he didn?t want to do that. He did not want me to see the dies again, because I had seen them previously and had early photos of them. There are many details to this story, not stated here. I?d be writing a book otherwise. Based upon my history and contact with this individual, I feel he has had these medals recently struck himself, which makes these Modern Restrikes, in my opinion. He tried to pass them onto me as originals, which I feel they are not. I told him I believed them to be modern restrikes and anyone selling as originals is committing Fraud. BEWARE if you see any gold (HK546) or silver (unlisted in HK) of these in the market place. Feel free to contact me, if you have questions. Things to look for: Stated the gold ones are edge marked .999 fine and weigh in at 1.3 ounces, and are struck in Proof. Stated the silver ones are marked .999 fine also and weigh in at about .7 ounces. This may help determine a restrike from and early ones, should one ever appear in the marketplace. I don?t want to see anyone getting burned because of this. The modern restrikes in themselves may have some value to some collectors, over and above the metal content, but definitely should not bring ?Big Bucks? as being an extremely rare item. Individual buyers will have to make that decision.