So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK 402 Alabama State Fund Dollar

HK-402 - Original vs. Restrike thread

It has been known for quite some time that the 1915 PPIE Alabama state fund dollar was restruck in the 1960s using original dies. At the time it was noted, it was believed collectors could tell the difference because the color and patina looked modern compared to the 1915 issue. That does not really hold anymore and many pieces offered today are restrikes as opposed to originals. Jeff and I were working on the PPIE entries for a new catalog this past weekend and we discovered some die characteristics that allow one to easily distinguish between an original and a restrike. It appears the dies were cleaned and polished before reuse. The breast feathers on the eagle on the obverse are different between the two strikes, but that is a subtle difference. On the reverse, the scroll work near the bottom of the medal is a hard and fast trait to distinguish the two. On the original die, there are die polish lines, small nicks and gouges, and a heavy extra line at the right edge of the scroll work. When the die was polished, these minor details and the line line or gouge at the right were eliminated. This marker is an easy way to distinguish original strikes from restrikes.

This is wonderful information. As the old phrase goes, one can build on the work of "giants." Looking at the scrolls, two differences jumped out to me. The first is the lack of the amount of spiraling on the second scroll from the left. In addition, the tilda-type accents on the top of the scrolls on the far two right scrolls is different between the dies.

I would think a great many are slabbed as originals. Just to add another photo?. this black-and-white photo is from the 1953 Richard Kenney catalog on So-Called Dollars. Interesting that the photo of the Alabama PPIE SCD has the features of the "original," well before the 1960s restrikes, which would make sense of course. Just thought i'd post it since it is more validation of the information in this post.

This is wonderful information. As the old phrase goes, one can build on the work of "giants." Looking at the scrolls, two differences jumped out to me. The first is the lack of the amount of spiraling on the second scroll from the left. In addition, the tilda-type accents on the top of the scrolls on the far two right scrolls is different between the dies.

Nice eye. I wonder how many have been slabbed as originals?