So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-404 vs. HK-404A

I have never seen an original bronze HK-404.... does anyone own one who can post?  I think almost all of the HK-404's are really HK-404a's .... silver plated to some extent....

I finally saw an HK-404 in real life; I do not own it, but at least 1 exists...

Ok, i'm curious if someone could educate me on this question: Is there really an HK-404 (not silver plated) ? The HK book describes a version of the Florida HK-404A issued in bronze, but I honestly can't find one that doesn't look like the HK-404A silver plate was stripped off. The 2008 Bill Weber auction describes (lot 10375) an HK-404 with "silver plate" but "different obverse and reverse die varieties than pictured in the H&K book" but without any photograph. Please, anyone, post pictures and share?. !

ATTACHED ARE PICTURES OF MY HK-404 GRADED NGC MS 62.

DOES THIS APPEAR TO BE BRONZE? IT HAS SOME BROWN COLORATION, BUT IT APPEARS TO HAVE SILVER PLATING THAT LOOKS WORN.

NGC OBVIOUSLY GRADED THIS RECENTLY PER THE GRADING # AND THE SLAB TYPE, AND I WOULD THINK THAT THEY KNOW THE DIFFENCE BY NOW. WHAT DOES THE FORUM THINK?

Uploaded files:
  • HK-404-OBVERSE.jpg
  • HK-404-REVERSE.jpg

ATTACHED ARE PICTURES OF MY HK-404A GRADED NGC MS 64.

FABULOUS BLAST WHITE EXAMPLE OF THIS TYPE. ONLY (5) MS 65'S FINER OVERALL (8/2019).

100% SILVER (PLATING?) IS INTACT. MOST OF THESE EXAMPLES WILL BE TONED DARK OR WILL BE MISSING SOME OF THE SILVER PLATING, LETTING THE BRONZE BASE METAL SHOW THROUGH. JEFF SHEVLIN TELLS ME RECENTLY THAT HE BELIEVES SOME OF THESE MIGHT BE SOLID SILVER. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE XRF TESTED TO PROVE IT, BUT THIS MIGHT POSSIBLY BE A SOLID SILVER IF SUCH A MEDAL EXISTS???

Uploaded files:
  • HK-404A-OBVERSE.jpg
  • HK-404A-REVERSE.jpg

Bruce, I think your HK-404 looks like a toned HK-404a... or maybe it's a partially gold-plated one?  Here's a photo of a 404 in a slab... only one i've "now" ever seen....

Uploaded files:
  • HK-404.jpeg