So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-473B Dow Metal SCD's

Usually whenever I see this piece it is in bad shape. This one actually looks pretty good. My latest find.

ATTACHED ARE PICTURES OF MY HK-473B GRADED MS 64 BY NGC. THERE ARE ONLY (1) MS 65 AND (1) MS 66 LISTED AS FINER IN THE NGC CENSUS AS OF 8/2019.

SORRY FOR THE TERRIBLE PICTURES, BUT LET'S FACE IT, THESE DOW METAL MEDALS LOOK TERRIBLE EVEN IN HIGH GRADES. THEY ARE SO POROUS AND DULL, THEY ARE HARD TO PHOTOGRAPH.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-473B-OBVERSE.jpg
  • HK-473B-REVERSE.jpg

Well congrats to whomever bought these off e-bay recently...

There is a variety of the Dow metal HK-473B that doesn't have the date of "1933" on the front. On the regular (dated) medals the "Dow" logo is over Lake Superior on the map on the back while the undated ones have the "Dow" logo to the west of Lake Michigan. I have been told there is a mule of the 2 medals. It has the dated obverse and has the logo to the west of Lake Michigan. It also appears to be white in color like perhaps it was silver plated. I have heard of 2 of these mules that both show remnants of a "white" plating.   I have never seenn an aluminum 473A so I think that the R5 rating is a bit low.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-473-Steel-Dies.jpeg