So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK 643 1898 Peace Jubilee

Page 1 of 2Next

1898 Pease Jubilee Thread

Beautiful item Bill. While I don't have the photographic talents, here is my 35mm white metal unlisted "so called" for the 1898 Peace Jubilee that I consider a companion piece to Bill's. The ribbon appears to be the same as Bill's with more wear. I only paid $40 for it.

Bob, This is not an unlisted so called dollar. It has been officially designated HK-643a by the 2nd edition book and will be pictured in 3rd edition. NGC has been notified to certify, grade and slab them as HK 643a. Check John Raymond home page click on links to socalled other stuff click on 2nd edition web site and click on new discoveries. It is listed there with the other 19 new so-calleds which NGC will slab. I have 5 of them how about you.

The 1898 Philadelphia Peace Jubilee so-called dollar is a piece that has eluded me for some time. Its one of the "gold dollar" size pieces at 14mm. In the past few months, I had the opportunity to examine 3 separate pieces, none of them for sale at the moment. Then I had the opportunity to purchase two pieces in their original badges and ribbons. The cross portion of the badge was different for both pieces, but I kept one for my collection and passed the other to Jeff for his collection. Jeff's is signed by J. H. Diehl, Philadelphia and I suspect both are Diehl products even though mine is unsigned. I have noticed the medal without a major die crack as mine pictured here and with a major die crack (Jeff's piece). The dies are so small, there is no way of telling how quickly it cracked. I love the bird on this piece (compare it to the Oriole on HK 592). The piece was affordable for me since it was part of a badge compared to the price of the medal alone. I believe the intact badges are probably harder to come by than the medal itself.

Bought this copper piece at a good discount with my "eBay bucks"? seems like getting these higher grade copper pieces are quite a challenge. I see the "ocean dumped" pieces all the time, and they are worth very little, so don't overpay for them.

Beautiful item Bill. While I don't have the photographic talents, here is my 35mm white metal unlisted "so called" for the 1898 Peace Jubilee that I consider a companion piece to Bill's. The ribbon appears to be the same as Bill's with more wear. I only paid $40 for it.

Next on my list to acquire. I agree these are companion pieces.

Wicked cool; what is that made out of Bill?

Ah ha... you're right! http://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/Peace_Jubilee.html

My recent purchase. Note that it has the Souvenir pin back part, similar printing on the ribbon (Philadelphia is added at the top), but a different color ribbon. Looking beyond the so-called dollar arena, there are many different badges, buttons, and medals sold for this event.

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN A 1898 PEACE JUBILEE MEDAL IN WHITE METAL FROM ATLANTA, GA? SEE ATTACHED PICTURES.

IT IS IDENTICAL TO THE PHILADELPHIA, PA PEACE JUBILEE MEDAL HK-643A, EXCEPT IT LISTS ATLANTA, GA AND THE DATES OF THE ATLANTA EVENT.

I SENT THIS IN TO NGC FOR GRADING, AND THEY MERELY CALLED IT HK-643A, EVEN THOUGH I DISCUSSED THIS MEDAL'S DIFFERENCES WITH LAURYNN DAVIS BEFORE I SUBMITTED IT. I PLAN TO CONTACT NGC AGAIN TO SEE WHY THIS WAS NOT DESIGNATED DIFFERENTLY.

BY THE WAY, IT IS GRADED MS 65 DPL!!!! IT IS TOP POP AND ONE OF ONLY (2) DPL'S AS HK-643A, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS MEDAL ACTUALLY IS. THIS SHOULD BE A 1 OF 1 (I SUGGESTED HK-643C TO NGC, BUT THEY DID NOT TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION).  COMMENTS????

Uploaded files:
  • ATLANTA-PEACE-JUBILEE-OBVERSE.jpg
  • ATLANTA-PEACE-JUBILEE-REVERSE.jpg
  • HK-643C-OBVERSE.jpg
Page 1 of 2Next