So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-685 Santa Monica Breakwater

Another rather rare recent acquisition to share. This So Called Dollar is unlisted in aluminum in the 2nd Edition So Called Dollar reference book. However, Jeff and Bill H have known of it for some time and have it listed in their new reference book on the 1894 California Midwinter Exposition as SH 7.2 AL R-9. It is one of my favorite pieces because one of my sub specialties is the Moise Tokens from S.F. Definitely would have been in the original SCD Reference Book if Hibler and Kappen had known about it. I am hopeful that we could get it listed as a new discovery since there are now two known examples and it could then be slabbed by NGC. Of all the Official Medal Midwinter Exposition So Calleds both Type 1 and Type 2's and narrow and wide Eureka specimens it is the largest at 34.27mm. Any collectors out there who know of more than these two specimens??

I have seen literally hundreds of these Santa Monica Breakwater So Calleds including all the Bi-Metals listed as R-8's EXCEPT this Bronze with Aluminum Center. I think that it may be the only one to be an actual R-8 since the NGC Census shows none graded and I haven't seen one listed anywhere for sale or auction. Who and how many of you have this bronze HK-685?,

billycgribble has reacted to this post.
billycgribble

I think that bimetallic one is pretty rare; great find Billy! I thought i'd share something interesting... I was at California Adventure (part of Disneyland) last month in the Paradise Pier section of the park. I happened to stop in to the gift shop across from Ariel's Grotto, and while looking around, I looked up and was surprised to see the items in the attached photos! Suffice to say, it seems Disneyland acquired some of the original carnival items from Ocean Park Pier and restored them and put them up as decorative items. The shop manager told me "no one ever looks up in here," but I would suggest to all you so-called guys and gals to do this the next time you are that shop at Disneyland.

It seems strange that for the recent (1933) and for all the many made and used that NGC has not slabbed a single HK-685 Bronze aluminum center.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-685-discussion.jpg
billycgribble has reacted to this post.
billycgribble

Bi Metallic

nice