So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Kentucky Exposition Fund Dollar HK-410b

I found this SCD for a good price over July 4th. While the photo isn't perfect, the coin is really nice "live" with nice details. I was curious what you all think it is worth? I don't want to sell it (given i've been looking for this one for over a year). The reverse seems to be a modified replica of the state seal of kentucky with the obverse being the sailing ship seal of the PPIE used on a number of SCDs (HK-410,410b,412). This medal appears to have been made by the Robbins Company (of Attleboro, MA, founded 1892 by Charles Robbins). This company merged with Tharpe Co. in 2007 -- now both in business under the name TharpeRobbins (www.tharperobbins.com) with headquarters in Statesville, NC but persisting jewelry manufacturing in Massachusetts. It's interesting to me that the Robbins Company manufactured the Eagle Scout Badges between 1920-1978 (see http://www.eaglescoutbadges.com/badges_robbins.html ). edited by rjesinger on 7/7/2011

Uploaded files:
  • HK-410b.jpg

ATTACHED ARE PICTURES OF MY HK-410B GRADED AU DETAILS CLEANED BY NGC.

I BOUGHT THIS ON EBAY QUITE CHEAP. THE MEDAL WAS VERY DIRTY, AND THE FOB WAS BENT.

I FIRST CALLED NGC TO SEE IF THEY WOULD GRADE THIS MEDAL WITH THE FOB ATTACHED, THEY ASSURED ME THAT THEY WOULD. I SENT IT TO NGC FOR CONSERVATION AND GRADING. I WAS HOPING THAT IT WOULD EARN A FULL NUMBER GRADE, BUT THEY DETERMINED THAT IT HAD BEEN PREVIOUSLY CLEANED BEFORE THEY "CONSERVED" (CLEANED) IT. THE COLORS ARE VERY BRIGHT ON IT AND THE FOB IS STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW NOW. THEY DID A FABULOUS JOB CONSERVING THIS AND TWO OTHER MEDALS THAT I SENT IN TOGETHER THAT WERE DINGY LOOKING AND TURNED OUT BEAUTIFUL.

THIS TYPE IS VERY RARE, AS THERE ARE ONLY (5) GIVEN A FULL NUMBER GRADE PER THE NGC CENSUS AS OF 8/2019. AN AU58 EXAMPLE SOLD FOR $2,300.00 BY STACKS BOWERS IN 2012. AN AU DETAILS EXAMPLE WITH HEAVY BLACK ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE SOLD FOR $600.00 BY STACKS BOWERS IN 2017. SOMEWHAT RARER WITH ATTACHED FOB AS MADE.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-410B-OBVERSE.jpg
  • HK-410B-REVERSE.jpg

Here's one without the FOB and graded AU-55

Uploaded files:
  • HK-410b-AU55.jpg