So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

People of the World's Col Expo -- HK-243,766,767

I like the 767a. Nice piece. (So are the others.)

Silver and silver-plate versions of several so-called dollars from the 1933 Century of Progress Expo are reported to exist (www.socalleddollars.com), but I hadn't seen one until I was able to purchase this silver-plate one (HK-465) from a long-time SCD collector. edited by rjesinger on 9/15/2012

The HK-243 pieces from the World's Columbian Exposition in 1892-1893 in Chicago, IL honor the director general of the fair (Col George Davis) and the president of the board of lady managers (Mrs. Potter Palmer). During the recent Summer seminar SCD course in Colorado Springs, we learned that a significant draw to the fair in Chicago was the "food, drink, and entertainment (including belly-dancing)," and I guess not much has changed in life. The board of lady managers (HK-243A) worked to "class up" the fair, and they spent time trying to minimize the drinking, show-girl dancing, and risque "belly dancing"... without much success. Col Davis (the serving US Congressman from IL) (HK-243B) seemed more of a ceremonial figure-head as the current Mayor. The Chicago mayor, Carter Harrison (HK-766), helped the fair actually turn a profit with his crooked wheeling and dealing. One wonders if HK-767 should be grouped in with the state bldg SCDs (HK-210 to 219) or in with "people" medals. The HK-767a i've included is a heavy "white metal" (?silver) version, not the aluminum HK-767 as mentioned in the H&K book. edited by rjesinger on 10/4/2012