So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Robert E. Lee (HK-758 and HK-773)

Please see my post under HK-278 regard the so called dollars relating to Ulysses S. Grant. Attached are my photos related to Robert E. Lee, including medals honoring his birth (HK-773/4) in Stratford Estate, VA (born 1807), and his death in 1870 (statue unveiled in his honor in New Orleans, LA in 1883). Does anyone have other medals honoring Lee that they would be willing to post?

Interesting to see that the city of New Orleans removed 4 civil war memorials, including the statue of Robert E Lee (HK-758) today (19 May 2017) as people do not want to memorialize the perception of preservation of slavery/hatred. I guess HK-758 may all that will be left to the memory of that statue and memorial.

Attached are pictures of my HK-774A graded MS 66 by NGC.  There are only (5) of this type listed in the NGC census, with this example being the Top Pop for the type as of 9/2019.

This type of the Robert E. Lee medal is incredibly tough to find compared to HK-773 and HK-774. This type has the Washington and Lee University reverse. Robert E. Lee was the president of this university from 1865-1870 after the Civil War.

There have been none of this type sold by the major auction companies to date.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-774A-OBVERSE.jpg
  • HK-774A-REVERSE.jpg