So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

San Francisco Earthquake/Fire HK-340 thru HK-343a

Page 1 of 2Next

I only own two of these (HK-340 and HK-341) which I bought since I live in northern California and find it interesting to own them. Lord only known when the next "big one" is coming. Seems like these pieces are a personal reminder that disaster can strike at any time (Katrina in New Orleans, Earthquake in Japan, ...) While I don't get to go into San Francisco very much, I was wondering if anyone knows much about this series beyond what's in the HK book. I did find this link... http://www.cliffhouse.com/history/index.html ...which related to HK-343 obverse. Does anyone own a HK-340a, HK-342 or HK343 and/or would be willing to post a photo?

I bought this one from Jeff. Its one of the few pieces I have left slabbed. I think my reaction when I opened the package was, DAMN!

For some reason these pieces are very hard to find in nice shape. I think a new book should have a general rarity factor and then a rarity factor for UNC pieces. What do you guys think?

I only own two of these (HK-340 and HK-341) which I bought since I live in northern California and find it interesting to own them. Lord only known when the next "big one" is coming. Seems like these pieces are a personal reminder that disaster can strike at any time (Katrina in New Orleans, Earthquake in Japan, ...) While I don't get to go into San Francisco very much, I was wondering if anyone knows much about this series beyond what's in the HK book. I did find this link... http://www.cliffhouse.com/history/index.html ...which related to HK-343 obverse. Does anyone own a HK-340a, HK-342 or HK343 and/or would be willing to post a photo?

I have all these earthquake ones but my personal favorite is this silver one that substitutes the word earthquake with the word disaster. The reverse is as all the others. Tell me how you imput and I will quit having such large pictures which are very distracting. Bill

HK 343

Your "Disaster" Piece is interesting. Can you post an image of the other side. There are two dies (the clock tower and non-clock tower) versions that were made by two different companies in my opinion. I'm curious as to whether your's is one of the two or in fact a third die.

which reverse is it

That is interesting to see (silver HK-340) with the word "disaster." Bill, can you elaborate on the variations? As an aside, I got this HK-343a for a few bucks recently (terribly worn but I gave it a home...)

Page 1 of 2Next