So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

1907 Southern Electrical & Industrial Expo HK-656

The development of electrical power thoughout the United States has a fascinating history, starting in the late 1800s with the "War of Currents" and the eventual electrification of cities into the 1900s. Progress was slow as evidenced by the fact that only 1 in 10 homes in the southern USA had electrical service even into the 1930s. Parallels with the installation of cable TV into homes in the 1970s-1990s and now internet fiber optics up to this day exist. In the early 1900s, seeing electrically-run machines (eg. an electric washing machine first introduced in 1907) must have been a fascinating concept for the average person, and in an effort to stimulate interest in the use of electrical machines, an exposition on the subject was held in Louisville, Kentucky in April 1907 -- the Southern Electrical and Industrial Exposition. This event, sponsored by the Louisville "Commercial Club" (with over 3,100 members, which I assume is the forerunner of the chamber of commerce) and held between 12-24 April 1907 in the 54,000 sq-ft First Regiment Armory in Lousiville, KY (Jefferson County), to develop "electrical art in ? the Southland." It was widely advertised, with discount train travel to the event (see attached postcard). National manufacturers of electrical equipment were invited, in an effort to showcase how electrically-driven machines could enhance manufacturing, improve home life, and speed communication. All sorts of electrical machines were featured, including the telegraph. The local city library was involved in sharing textbook resources to visitors. In some attached photos, even the local brewery was there, selling some beer i'm sure, but also probably featuring electrical machines in beer manufacturing. Two band concerts occurred daily. The so-called dollar associated with this event (HK-656) appropriately features Ben Franklin on the obverse (everyone can recall his lightning experiment ). It was manufactured by Greenduck Co, Chicago, and apparently the issue was quite limited. The 35mm SCD is said to be manufactured in Bronze, but I wonder if it was made of antiqued copper given how the ones i've seen look to the eye. Attached is a photo of one I was able to recently purchase from a fellow SCD collector. I wonder if other medals or collectables from this exposition exist?

There is an interesting medal dealing with electrical power in U.S. History. I am attaching my description and history of the medal. Although it is technically an award medal, it has the flavor of an So Called Dollar in that it involves an Exhibition and the history of the development of electricity in the U.S.

Here is the info: 1887 Bronze, WORCHESTER ELECTRICAL EXHIBITION - The Rink - Horace Holly Bigelow, Award Medal to G. Tourtellotte. NGC MS64, Cert# 3045880-002. Obv. Hand Holding Thunder (Electricity) in Center circle, legend around Worchester Electrical Industrial Exhibition; Rv. Worchester, Mass. at bottom, Awarded by H.H. Bigelow, at top, To: G. Tourtellotte, at Bigelow Rink Opened March 14, to April 25, 1887.

History: In 1878, the LALIME brothers from Canada had built "THE RINK", a cavernous wooden building between Foster and Mechanic streets, designed for roller skating. The LALIMES hoped to attract only the better sort. They excluded "the rabble." Blacks, among others, were not welcome. By 1881, the RINK, for all its popularity, was in financial straits. Horace bought out the LALIMES that year and promptly cut roller skating prices by a third. He excluded no one. Roller skating quickly became a Worcester craze, with thousands propelling themselves around the hardwood floor. He bought five other roller skating rinks in other cities and quickly made them profitable. In Worcester, he added an outdoor swimming pool, fountains and concessions, all surrounded by a tasteful wooden fence. Horace's Garden fronted on Norwich Street and covered the whole block between Foster and Mechanic Streets. Thousands thronged through its portals each week to disport themselves and to watch various events, from six-day bicycle races to comic operas. On July 23, 1882, a Sunday, Horace put on an open-air concert at BIGELOW'S Garden. Proper types were aghast at this flouting of the blue laws. Union Church, then located on Front Street, complained to City Hall. Horace insisting that he had as much right to run his entertainment business as druggists had to sell cigars, and announced that a second concert would be held the following Sunday. That concert started off with two religious numbers, but was then closed down by the police. Horace was hauled into court. He lost the case, was fined $20 and appealed to Superior Court. His trials gave him a marvelous opportunity to stand up for the right of working people to enjoy themselves on the sabbath. It was no worse, Horace maintained, for a poor man to ride a wooden horse on Sunday than for a rich man to drive a real horse. Finally, after his appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court, the city decided not to press the case. By that time, 1884, Sunday was the biggest day at Lake Park and Lake Quinsigamond. Although he was deeply involved in public recreation, both at the lake and at the Rink, Horace found time to promote a new interest-electricity. Convinced that electric power was the road to the future, he installed a generating plant to illuminate the Rink by arc light. That was in 1883, a year before the Worcester Electric Light Co. began operations. Electric power expanded in Worcester, but much too slowly for Horace. In 1887, he held a mammoth electrical exposition at the Rink, with 140 exhibitors. Gov. Oliver Ames was there to pull the switch that set 140 lights a-blazing. A crush of people gawked at the spectacle of the industrial exhibits, all driven by electricity. An electric street car moved back and forth on special tracks, sparks flashing from its wheels. Horace saw the exhibition as a way to educate the masses. He told a Telegram reporter, "Every man, woman and child in Worcester able to do so will have an opportunity to visit the electrical exhibition at the rink before it closes. If they are too poor to buy a ticket, I will give them one; poverty shall not debar anyone from attending it if they want to." This medal freezes in time, the development of Electricity in Mass. and the spirit of enterprise that existed in the world of Horace Bigelow.