So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Boston Tercentenary Type I H&K 676

I did a post last month talking about the boxes and the five medals that came with them. I have started to photograph some of my pieces to add them to the forum here. Here is a photograph of my set. http://www.flickr.com/photos/19650091@N04/12396826483/

Hibler and Kappen list this piece under the general heading of Boston Tercentenary. The celebration was actually the Massachusetts Bay Tercentenary and was celebrated across the state. Schwaab Stamp and Seal made two badges (H&K Type I and Type II). 676 is the Type II. Type III is an adverstising piece for another manufacturer made in three sizes with the so-called the middle size of the three. The Ostheimer plate piece for H&K brought $1,898. Although it was slabbed, it had its "rabbit ears" removed on careful study. Whether this was done when it was struck or later is a different question. I acquired a full badge specimen. I know other pieces are out there without the ears, but look carefully and you should be able to see the rim depressions at the location of the ears.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-676-MS64-PL.jpg