So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-237d

Ok, I am about to answer my own question in a way.... This medal is attributed to George Hampden Lovett. Little did I know that this fellow is from a pretty famous family of die-sinkers with his brother being Robert Lovett Jr. of Philidelphia and his father being Robert Lovett Sr -- of British heritage (http://lovetttokensmedals.com/Biographies/GeorgeH.html) and associated with the Lovett 'Eight Battles' Dollars (HK90-113). The Lovett family is mentioned in the book on early american die-sinkers written by Richard Kenney. The referenced website is an excellent resource about the Lovetts. George H. Lovett was a die-sinker who worked in New York City between 1840 and 1890, churning out a great many Washington and state coat-of-arms medals for expositions and fairs, often in white metal or bronze-stained copper. He certainly felt that "metal die-sinking was a distinct branch of art." To paraphrase the above website: "Lovett kept no list of his productions, manv of which he donated to the American Numismatic and Archaeological Society. His medals tell the story of the Centennial Exposition, Philadelphia, 1876;? the World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition, New Orleans, 1885; ?? the North, Central and South American Exposition, New Orleans, 1886; ? the Piedmont Exposition, Atlanta, 1887; ? the American Exhibition, London. 1887; ? and the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago, 1893. Numismatic, Historical and Agricultural Societies, Colleges and Schools, and the Social Clubs, American and foreign, the Masons, Odd Fellows, Grand Army, National Guard, firemen and politicians have sought his aid, time and time again. "His work commemorates the battles and principal events of the Revolution and the Civil War, the erection of statues and monuments, and the dedication of cathedrals, churches and public or historic buildings. Medals were designed by him to celebrate events abroad as well as at home. He cut the dies for the coins of Honduras, and for the plantation or hacienda currency on the Island." edited by rjesinger on 7/13/2012

Bob, just like the one in the book both a small hole and then the fob slash. Wonder if it came with two different ribbons. Never acquired one and never seen anybody with one not even Jeff. NICE!

That is a fantastic piece Bill. Thanks for letting me see it in person as well. Here's something I plan to show you next month that falls in the catagory of "odd shape" items I guess... 🙂

maybe that is where we need to go to find the tough ones! A few years ago I was able to purchase a silver lovett masonic piece from a dealer who had purchased it in England

In 40 years of collecting So Called Dollars this is the first time that I have run across or seen this So Called. Was purchased by an English gentleman traveling by ocean liner in 1893 to Columbian World Fair. Took it back to England and now 119 yrs later is back to America.

That is a fantastic piece Bill. Thanks for letting me see it in person as well. Here's something I plan to show you next month that falls in the catagory of "odd shape" items I guess... 🙂