So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-308 PF64 Roosevelt Dollar

This SCD was made by Lauer Co. of Nuremberg Germany I believe, the same maker of the Lauer Exhibition Palace Dollars of the 1894 Midwinter Expo in San Francisco. They were only made in proof, and may of the medals are not in perfect condition. Attached is my PF-62 and an old screen shot of a PF-63 that sold some years ago. If I see any PF-64 for sale, i'll let everyone know. Per a post on another website: The form Lauer of Neuemberg, Germany was a main issuer and striker of miniature replica imitation currency toy coins (usually 12-14mm in diameter) for many countries from about 1880 until about 1950. Their purpose was to show the engraving skills of the form and to act as advertising for their business, for sale as toys to children and for doll houses. Some were issued in boxes, most of which are now rare and hard to find. The company is still in business today making grills for radios in automobiles. (http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/19173-any-idea-token/) edited by rjesinger on 9/15/2012

Recently I have started to do specific gravity testing of my collection. I happened to own two HK 308 pieces. One turned out to be 99% silver, the other 90% silver, both with edge markings to match. You can go to my web site, socalleddollar.com and click on either the first or second edition tally. Scroll down to HK308 and click on "see notes". I do not know if anyone else has picked up on this. A surprise for me. Tell me what you think. I would put a link here, but I am getting sick of HTML. LOL JR

In 1963 Hibler and Kappen wrote concerning this piece "Research fails to establish either origin of this medal or nature and extent of 'jubilee' celebration which latter obviously must have been limited." The mystery surrounding this piece is now solved. In 1966 Norma B Ricketts who was a noted Mormon scholar, historian, rearcher and writer published the book "MORMONS and the DISCOVERY OF GOLD". She used diaries of men who participated in the Mormon Battalion march to California in 1846 relying most extensively on Henry Bigler's Journals in 1846 and his last Journal chronicaling his trip to the GOLD DISCOVERY JUBILEE SEMI-CENTENNIAL in January of 1898 in San Francisco, California. This Gold Discovery Semi-Centennial was conceived, arranged, funded and hosted by "THE CALIFORNIA PIONEERS HISTORICAL SOCIETY- San Francisco Chapter". Very little was known about this one day Semi-Centennial in San Francisco, California until a journal written by Mormon Henry William Bigler became known. The Mormons were having their problems with the local authorities and government in the 1844-1846 period in Nauvoo, Illinois. Their High Prohet Joseph Smith was murdered in Carthage, Illinois June 27, 1844 by a frenzied mob. They were being persecuted on all sides with assistance of the Governor of Illinois and militia troops. On February 4, 1846 the Mormons were driven out of Nauvoo with the choice of either fleeing their homes and the community or being massacred. Prohet Brigham Young issued the call to arms forming the famed Mormon Battalion in 1846 for their march to California. Henry Bigler answered this call and left Nauvoo in 1846 arriving in California with the Mormon Battalion in 1847. Following their discharge from the Mormon Battalion Henry Bigler, Alexander Stephens, James S. Brown, James Barger, William Johnson and Azariah Smith were employed in late 1847 by Johann A. Sutter at his Sutter's Fort in Sacramento, California. They were visited one night by James S. Marshall whom Sutter had struck a deal with to build a sawmill. They and Marshall left Sacramento and arrived at the chosen Sutter sawmill site on September 29, 1847. From the day he left Utah in 1846 Henry Bigler had kept a daily journal. When James Marshall discovered gold in the sawmill water ditch on January 24, 1848 Bigler recorded it. In 1870 upon reading a San Francisco newspaper article about the uncertainty about the date of gold discovery at Sutter's Mill Bigler wrote a letter to the editor of the San Francisco Daily Bulletin with copies of his journal giving the exact date and time and existence of his journals became known. Upon learning of these journals chronicaling the daily early gold rush days in California professional historian Charles S. Hittell became acquainted with Henry Bigler. Hittell extensively chronicaled the early history of California as well as the gold rush days using Bigler's journals. Charles S. Hittell was also a member of the California Pioneers Historical Society. The Society owns the Bigler gold rush journal. In 1896-1897 the California Pioneers Historical Society in San Francisco decided that something had to be done to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of the discovery of gold in California by James Marshall at Sutter's Mill. They decided that what was needed was to bring Henry Bigler and the three surviving Mormon Battalion veterans who were at Sutter's Mill from Utah to San Francisco and have them participate in a day long Golden Jubilee Celebration on Jan 24, 1898. Henry Bigler and the three survivors James S. Brown, William Johnston and Azariah Smith accepted and were brought to San Francisco for 10 days of celebrating culminating in a day long parade which they led through San Francisco's business district along with the other California Pioneers and local dignataries. Even at his advanced age he still kept a daily journal and on January 24, 1898 wrote in his journal "that it was a cold a disagrjeeable day". Perhaps ironically for lack of information HK-642 is not the official medal. The official medal selected was an artistic 1848 view of Sutter's Mill with the river and logs on the reverse where the gold was discovered and a bust of James Marshall on the obverse who discovered the gold.