So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK 465 and 466 - Ford Restrikes

HK-465 and 466 modern restrikes thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/925588/ford-hk-465-and-hk-466-so-called-dollars-struck-in-aluminum-and-copper-and-brass

I sent a message to the dealer asking if these were restrikes, he said they were obtained from an estate sale. However, I later tried to bid on one and found myself blocked from bidding! He says he does not know why that should be. Well only the seller can block a bidder to my knowledge. I am still blocked although I asked to be unblocked. Something is not right with these pieces in my opinion.

I purchased a cheap aluminum to check out. got what I expected which was a brand new ms70 which was minted in 2013. Now I also notice all the Ford tokens from the exposition are being listed. He is buying these from a knock off novelty co. If you look at all his other items-black memorabilia and western sign memorabilia he has quite an operation going. Should cause an interesting dilema in 50 yrs for so called collectors. Also got told estate sale but I must have been nicer in approach as he didn't block me. Only mistake I've seen him make so far is saying "these were circulated at the 1933 exposition" which is obviously not true even if they are made from legally procured original dies.

Billy: Have you done a careful study comparing the medal you just received with a genuine medal? The new pieces appear to be struck with a new die opposed to using original dies. It is difficult to do the study from pictures since lighting differences will create the appearance of different dies. But, lettering does not appear to line up exactly the same.

Interesting--My initial check when I received the piece showed that the lettering all matched up perfect. Since the postings on discussion board what doesn't match up is the V8 symbol over the wreath. On the originals there are three complete set of leaves on both the left and right sides of the "V". On this new one there are only two sets of complete leaves. You are right diferent dies.

I recently bid on two of the aluminum pieces hoping to get one for reference. I was out bid on the first (I wasn't going to go more than the opening bid). I received a notice from Ebay that they had closed the auction for the second piece because it violated Ebay sales policies. Maybe they finally accepted complaints that the pieces were modern copies.

First, examples of HK 465 began appearing from a dealer in Texas--bright, sharp, and struck in metals such as aluminum, never before encountered. That same dealer is now offering similar examples of HK 466 on Ebay. As with the earlier offerings, the sales and bidders are private.

I sent a message to the dealer asking if these were restrikes, he said they were obtained from an estate sale. However, I later tried to bid on one and found myself blocked from bidding! He says he does not know why that should be. Well only the seller can block a bidder to my knowledge. I am still blocked although I asked to be unblocked. Something is not right with these pieces in my opinion.

I purchased a cheap aluminum to check out. got what I expected which was a brand new ms70 which was minted in 2013. Now I also notice all the Ford tokens from the exposition are being listed. He is buying these from a knock off novelty co. If you look at all his other items-black memorabilia and western sign memorabilia he has quite an operation going. Should cause an interesting dilema in 50 yrs for so called collectors. Also got told estate sale but I must have been nicer in approach as he didn't block me. Only mistake I've seen him make so far is saying "these were circulated at the 1933 exposition" which is obviously not true even if they are made from legally procured original dies.

Billy: Have you done a careful study comparing the medal you just received with a genuine medal? The new pieces appear to be struck with a new die opposed to using original dies. It is difficult to do the study from pictures since lighting differences will create the appearance of different dies. But, lettering does not appear to line up exactly the same.

now seeing them for sale from other dealers at very high prices, buyer beware

These pieces are what brought me to this discussion board. I have been seeing them pop up on eBay on an almost regular basis. First time I saw them they seemed odd, being near perfect looking. Tonight I came across a pair on eBay for $685. See attached link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlisted-Pair-of-HK-465-and-HK-466-So-Called-Dollars-Struck-in-Aluminum-/380694040714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a322108a Looks like they will be around for a while. Buyer beware!