So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-544 Possible Important New Find

I recently purchased an HK-544 in silver. It looks to be silver and is edge marked .999 silver. It is listed in the book in nickle-silver, brass, aluminum and gold. It would seem reasonable that at least some were made in silver given that they were made in these other medals. Has anyone found one in silver? I will post a picture as soon as possible. I got it at the baltimore show, it came with a nickle-silver piece and a brass piece, sorry no gold!Hah! Perhaps it was originally acquired as a set, the seller did not know.

So have we decided if 544 has also been replicated as John Dean has stated about 545 being replicated by the original dies. 544 and 545 are two completely different so called dies and I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a 544 but would like to think it is real.

Here's the one I bought....looks to be in very good shape with minor wear....no plans to clean it

Do you mean 544 or 545? John Dean has reported that 545 has been restruck in silver from original dies. I bid on a set in aluminum, brass, and silver, but I was not willing to go very high. The set sold for approximately $350. I visited the dealer selling the set on Ebay, but the Ebay manager was not in so I was unable to examine the set before it sold. They had been told by another person on Ebay that they suspected at least the silver piece was a restrike. I wanted to do a comparison with a know original to see if there might be any die characteristics to identify a restrike.

I recently purchased an HK-544 in silver. It looks to be silver and is edge marked .999 silver. It is listed in the book in nickle-silver, brass, aluminum and gold. It would seem reasonable that at least some were made in silver given that they were made in these other medals. Has anyone found one in silver? I will post a picture as soon as possible. I got it at the baltimore show, it came with a nickle-silver piece and a brass piece, sorry no gold!Hah! Perhaps it was originally acquired as a set, the seller did not know.

See John's ALERT message elsewhere in this forum.