So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-638 Western Reserve

HK-638  Western Reserve Thread

Researching this little known So Called shows that it is steeped in U.S. history. The Western Reserve was originally the Connecticut Western Reserve. When the Connecticut Charter was issued in 1662 the charter provided for westward land claims to be from Sea to Sea. Connecticut set up part of their charter as the 'Connecticut Western Reserve'. During the Revolutionary War Norwalk, Connecticut was burned to the ground on July 11, 1779 by the British Tories under Governor Tryon. The Revolutionary War was primarily between the original thirteen colonies and England without regard to the western lands. George Rogers Clark, a Virginian, convinced Virginia Governor Patrick Henry, of the need of obtaining independence for the western lands should the Colonies be successful. George Rogers Clark was commisioned by Patrick Henry to capture the British military forts in the western lands including the Western Reserve. Geore Rogers Clark formed a seven company volunter militia and was successful in capturing all the British forts. At THE TREATY OF PEACE in Paris in 1783 the boundary of the United States was set at the Ohio River. The colonies sustained their claim to the westward lands on the basis of Virginia being in undisputed possession of said lands at the end of the Revolutionary War. In 1786 Connecticut ceded and deeded to the Federal Government their claim to the Western Reserve in exchange for the forgiveness of their portion of the Revolutionary war debt. Moses Cleveland was selected to head a survey party of fifty people and survey the area. Cleveland arived at Conneaut Creek on July 4,1795 and completed the survervey in 1796. This is where the Conneaut, Ohio and 1796 date on HK-638 stem from. On May 30, 1800 the Federal Government set up an area in the Western Reserve and designated it the 'FIRELANDS'. They then ceded and deeded part of the area to the people of Norwalk, Connecticut as reparation payment of $116,238.66 for the burning of Norwalk, Connecticut in July 1779. There was still a problem with Indian claims and violence but on July 4, 1805 the Federal Government by treaty and the payment of $18,916.67 extinguished the Indian title to the land. With all title problems cleared a group of citizens from Norwalk, Connecticut met at the courthouse in New Haven, Connecticut and created and formalized the creation of Norwalk, Ohio as of 1809. This is where the Norwalk, Ohio and the date 1809 come from on the second Western Reserve So Called which should eventually be HK-638a.--Bill Gribble

Thank you for this information! I just got this piece (HK-638). I didn't realize it was a gilt piece with dark bronze coating over white metal. The HK book doesn't mention this fact (just refers to white metal). Bill, does your piece reflect the same dark coating?

Uploaded files:
  • HK-638a-Bz-Plate-1.jpg

Here is a nicer HK-638... in hand...

Uploaded files:
  • HK-638-AU-55.jpeg

... to add an additional comment... HK-638 was the celebratory medal for Conneaut, Ohio related to the western reserve centennial per Bill G. If you look at the information on HK-638 in the H&K 2nd Edition book (page 121), there is also a brief discussion on another medal I presume was possibly related to the Western Reserve Centennial. Apparently, a centennial medal for Cleveland OH, designed by L. Vincent Metz, was also made and sold in 1896, but the H&K authors stated that they "never have seen this latter piece." I believe that medal is attached. It is bronze, 34mm, and 13.9 grams. I can understand why it is referenced with the HK-638 text... not sure if it was ever issued unholed, but perhaps it should be considered HK-638b ...any opinions?

Uploaded files:
  • HK-unlst-1896-Cleveland-Metz.jpg

... to add an additional comment... HK-638 was the celebratory medal for Conneaut, Ohio related to the western reserve centennial per Bill G. If you look at the information on HK-638 in the H&K 2nd Edition book (page 121), there is also a brief discussion on another medal I presume was possibly related to the Western Reserve Centennial. Apparently, a centennial medal for Cleveland OH, designed by L. Vincent Metz, was also made and sold in 1896, but the H&K authors stated that they "never have seen this latter piece." I believe that medal is attached. It is bronze, 34mm, and 13.9 grams. I can understand why it is referenced with the HK-638 text... not sure if it was ever issued unholed, but perhaps it should be considered HK-638b per Bill G's original post...any opinions?

I also have this piece and almost included it. Didn't want to start controversey being token does not mention Western Reserve. However, in 1896 Cleveland and his surveying crew mapped out and laid out the area for the capitol. The surveying crew took a vote and named it Cleveland after their leader. Purists might argue it is a founders token for the city. Since Cleveland left the area at completion of survey and never returned I too would argue that it should be included.