So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-661A 400th Anniversary of Florida

I believe that the 661A identified in the HK book as Silver-Plated Bronze is either Silver or a white metal that is silver-plated. I have never seen a bronze HK 661 although there are nine certified by NGC. How do you know the weight of the brass or bronze piece? I have noticed the HK 661A comes with an antiqued finish and a non-antiqued finish. My HK 661A weighs 16.80 grams and I grade it Gem BU.

I recently picked up a circulated one of these from Ebay because it was cheap. I have had a nice unc. one of these since the 1980's so I haven't paid any attention to it or others. What is interesting about the recent purchase is that it is worn enough that I would grade it VF and the figure on the back is worn smooth. The HK book lists this piece as silver-plated but there is no base metal showing anywhere. I weighed it and it is 2 to 3 grams heavier that a comparable brass or bronze piece. I do not have HK-661 for a perfect comparison. I wonder if these are actually silver and not plated? I welcome anyone with a HK-661 to post its exact weight here and we can compare their weights.