So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-672 Canton Centennial

HK-672 Canton Centennial

Very hard so callled to photo. Hibbler Kappen list this so called as white metal oxidized. John Raymond lists 6 all of which he listed as silvered. The one here pictured is remniscent of the silvered HK 340 Earthquake which always has underlying metal peaking out. It is obviously while thin plating hi silver content as it tarnishes the gray/black like the Wells Fargos. I believe this so called may be mislisted and that I could make a pretty good case for this being solely a silver plated bronze that tarnishes well and is not oxidized. It has a metallic ring when lightly dropped on a formica top not the dull thunk of white metal. So those collectors out there that have this piece do you have an unsilvered white metal that isn't gray tarnish and is oxidized and goes thunk? Or possibly a bronze piece?

Attached are images of my HK-672. Mine feels rather heavy like a silver piece or silver-coated bronze. It doesn't have the feel for the classic "white metal" pieces from the late 1800s. Unlike HK-340a, I do not note any underlying bronze peeking through, so I do wonder if this is actually a solid indeterminate metal. When I sent mine into NCS for conservation, they said it had been "laquered" so I presume that these pieces did indeed have some type of surface finish applied to get the "oxidized" appearance, but then again, laquering was a common way to preserve a coins surface in days gone by. My conserved piece is also attached. I guess the view can try to be the judge of the surface treatments and metal composition....