So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-725 Undated Louisiana Mechanics & Ag Fair Assn

Uploaded files:
  • HK-725.jpeg

While this SCD is undated, I am assuming it dates from the 1850s-1900s. The LA Mech & Ag Fair Assn formed around the Civil War and promoted/held at least 7 fairs in New Orleans in the 1860s-1870s. Several publications describing the fair and award winners are available, and it seems the site of the fairs is now the New Orleans Fairgrounds (w/ horseracing). I've found some of the Silver and Gold medals online (see the HK-725c image) and in old Presidental Antique Coin Co. Auction catalogues. Some of these SCD come with names engraved on the ribbon on the reverse. It seems to me that HK-725 is one of the earliest SCD to celebrate a regional fair, assuming this medal does indeed date to the later half of the 1800s. Does anyone have more historical information on this SCD?

Update... I spoke with Alan Weinberg... owner of the gold HK-725c. He dates these medals from the 1870s-1880s. He mentioned that he didn't think they should have been listed in the H+K book as a so-called dollar... apparently he knew Charles Kappen (stayed at his house several times) and had discussions with him about this. I think this piece is basically an award medal but was the side of a so-called dollar. I suspect a gold HK-725c will come to market in late 2018 or 2019.... watch for it.