So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HK-773a 1929 Robert E. Lee Birthplace Bicentennial

I am not 100% sure which diesinker made HK-773 and HK-774, but I believe the so-called dollars celebrating the bicentennial of the birthplace of Robert E. Lee were used as a fundraising tool by the Robert E. Lee Memorial Foundation (non-profit in NY) that purchased Stratford Hall property in 1929. The HK-773/774 so-called dollars were sold during the great depression to help pay off the $240,000 price tag in the midst of the Great Depression. By 1935, Stratford Hall had been paid off and it's historic buildings and gardens had been restored. An unlisted so-called dollar was issued in 1935 for the dedication (an unlisted SCD #306 on John Raymond's site). The 1900 acre estate along the Potomac River is open to the public visitors to this day (www.stratfordhall.org). I think these HK-773/774 so-calleds are not extremely difficult to locate and purchase, but Jeff Shevlin and I recently saw the attached version of HK-773 in silver-plate, which is not listed in the H&K book, and something Jeff told me he has never seen (nor had I). Hence, I am referencing it as HK-773a and posting it here. Please feel free to post any additional information on this SCD. I also put the 1935 unlisted SCD in this post for completeness.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-773a.jpg