So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Modern SCDs 1965-1970

Page 1 of 2Next

another

Here is another collection of SCDs, including many of the items from John Dean's book (originally having Turner numbers), but some extras i'd count that are not US Mint sponsored. Sorry about the overlap with 1965 on the other post, but I thought i'd include it. As before, i'm sure I am missing many other SCDs from the '65-'70 era, so post away ones you know I missed. 1965 Wyoming Statehood 75th Anniv (39mm silver) Statue of Liberty Centennial (4-coin 33mm silver set) [Turner 13,14,15,20] Delano California 50th Anniv (40mm bronze) 1966 State of Indiana 150th Anniv Sesquicentennial (MACO) (39mm bronze) City of Sherill NY 50th Anniv / Silver City (37mm yellow coat obverse/nickel reverse) 1967 Saint Marys Pennsylvania 125th Anniv - (35mm White Metal) U.S. Naval Facilities Construction Battalions (SEABEES) 25th Anniv (33.3mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 17] Alaska Purchase Centennial (33.3mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 19] City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee 25th Anniversary (1942-1967) (silver) 1968 Hemisfair Intl Expo in San Antonio, TX (33.3mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 21] Diplomatic Courier Service 50th Anniv (33.3mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner A21] 1969 Powell Expedition (discovery of the Grand Canyon) - 3 medal silver (Wyoming, Utah, Arizona) set (35mm medals) 200th Anniv San Diego, CA (33.3mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 22] 100th Anniv Golden Spike Centennial (33.3mm bronze) [Turner 23] Memphis Tennessee Sesquicentennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 25] Westminster College and Winston Churchill Memorial, Fulton, MO (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 27] Alabama Sesquicentennial (33mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 30] Dorchester County Maryland Tercentenary (34mm Bronze) Catalina Island CA Air Service 50th Anniversary (1919-1969) (38mm nickel) Stoughton Wisconsin - Comm Signing of Norwegian Comstitution / Syttende Mai (40mm bronze) 1970 Wichita Kansas Centennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 28] South Carolina Tricentennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P; also produced by MACO without "P") [Turner 31] American Fisheries Society Centennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 32] Stone Mountain Georgia Centennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 34] US Weather Service Centennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) County of Oakland Michigan Sesquicentennial (1820-1970) - Bronze or silver Sanford Michigan Centennial (35mm White Metal) edited by rjesinger on 2/19/2014

I thought the 1966 City of Sherrill New York 50th anniversary 37mm piece is interesting in that it has a different color obverse / reverse. In this modern age of "colored" coins, one wonders if this is one of the early modern so-called dollars to have this kind of color feature. I would assume the color was added to simulate gold. It sure seems like the Canadian Mint and Asian Mints are quite ahead in this area of "colored" coins. Interesting that the US Mint is considering some color in the newer 5c nickel (see recent coin world article). This piece can be found on e-bay for those who want to get one (item 380546668679) in better condition than mine below.

Here are some photos of the MACO medals of the Powell Expedition...

Saw this recently... a proof HK-16 in it's original red leather case... dark blue velvet interior. edited by rjesinger on 1/1/2013

here is one from ct

Pop Top 1970 American Fisheries Society, my favorite modern US mint commemorative medal...available in bronze and silver

[1970 Wichita Kansas Centennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 28] South Carolina Tricentennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P; also produced by MACO without "P") [Turner 31] American Fisheries Society Centennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 32] Stone Mountain Georgia Centennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) [Turner 34] US Weather Service Centennial (39.6mm silver or bronze, US Mint-P) County of Oakland Michigan Sesquicentennial (1820-1970) - Bronze Sanford Michigan Centennial (35mm White Metal) edited by rjesinger on 1/5/2013

Some additional information on the Oakland, Michigan Sesquicentennial: Not only were they struck in bronze but also silver (serial numbered) and 10K gold (serial numbered). When the silver is found in a set with the bronze medal, the bronze piece should also be serial numbered to match. If you look at the edge of any of the bronze pieces, they have a non-reeded portion.... where the markings would occur, if applicable. I have several of the two piece sets (silver and bronze) and one 3-piece set which contains a gold one. The gold was struck in probably fewer than 25 pieces, but possibly less. My 3 piece is serial numbered 10.

This piece from the 1970 S.C. 300th Commem with a really nice artistic design and eye appeal sold recently on e-bay... and I thought i'd post it here. Congrats to the lucky owner...

This piece came up for sale on E-Bay. I hadn't seen it before but presume it qualifies as a modern SCD at 36mm. Interesting design features.

Page 1 of 2Next