So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New 1892 Worlds Fair?

Like billycgribble said, this is Eglit 221. It is actually not terribly rare if you look through old calalogs like I have done, but then old Charles Kirtley catalogs are especially rich in Eglit material. I can't remember ever seeing one on ebay or anywhere else. It is found in aluminum and ususally holed, occasionally coming with a hanger. I never came across one that was described as white metal. There was also one in bronze that I came across that sold in Charles Kirtley sale #89, lot 1543 Oct 17, 1992 (no hole with photo). Sure wish I owned it. In bronze it is a true rarity. I have it listed on my website as #118 within my "World Columbian Expo So Called Dollars" link.

Fantastic, beautiful pieces !

I suspect it is aluminum if it feels light. White metal feels more substantial. The color also looks like aluminum pieces from 1893.

Interesting piece that I have not seen before. I am trying to decipher the signature on the reverse. CUITT PHILA?

Quint Phila---(old S.H. and sons)

Interesting piece that I have not seen before. I am trying to decipher the signature on the reverse. CUITT PHILA?

I'm not seeing this one listed anywhere. Does anyone have any thoughts? It's 38mm and struck in white metal.

Quint Phila---(old S.H. and sons)

S.H. Quint diesinker from Philadelphia did three known tokens for the Columbian Exposition. They were EGLIT 79, 221 and 429. This example being asked about is Eglit 221. Is unlisted as one of the So Called Dollars but ought to be included as well as the Eglit 79 with President Grover Cleveland. Eglit 429 would not qualify for inclusion because it is a Storecard Token.

Good catch Billy. Eglit lists this piece as aluminum, much more common at the exposition than white metal. Matt, is yours perhaps aluminum or is it in fact white metal?

Good catch Billy. Eglit lists this piece as aluminum, much more common at the exposition than white metal. Matt, is yours perhaps aluminum or is it in fact white metal?

S.H. Quint was only in business from 1893-1899. I have perhaps a dozen of his pieces and with the exception of one very small nickel silver piece I have never seen him use white metal. (Or brass, or copper or bronze)