So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SC Interstate/West Indian Expo - HK-292 Variety?

Page 1 of 3Next

Can anyone tell me about this? NGC told me it's authentic but appears to be a Gilt or Gold-plated variety of the Fort Sumter Dollar. I didn't pay a huge amount, but i'm not 100% sure what to think about it...

I have one of these that appears to be gilt over bronze. I also have an example that I believe to be solid silver instead of silver plated. You can see pics of both pieces at neocollect.com

Mystery solved... thank you!

Bought the gilt piece about 12 years ago and hadn't seen another until now. One other reason I believe that the other unlisted piece is solid silver is that I bought a Fort Sumter dollar years ago that someone had taken a grinder to - and ground the Palmetto tree almost flat! It was still a bright silver color that deep into it. May not have been silver, but it sure wasn't brass or bronze! Wish I still had it, but I sold it at cost not long after I got it.

I found what I determined to be a HK-294 in a box the other day. Investigation tells me that these are R5 and the detail on this SCD is fairly nice. There is very little info on this on the net, and I found two that have sold. One for 70$ & one for $800. I suppose I need to get it graded first before I can determine what it might be worth. Can anyone tell me what the best process would be to determing grade, and then find out it's real worth? Thanks for any input.

If you post a photo, folks on this website could likely suggest a grade, but whether the item has been cleaned in the past could also determine value. I think a nice MS-63 in an NGC holder could fetch $300. You could take the coin to a local coin dealer, you might also get an opinion on grade / surfaces. If it is a really nice high grade piece, it might be worth getting it into an NGC holder before selling it, but that opinion varies.

If you post a photo, folks on this website could likely suggest a grade, but whether the item has been cleaned in the past could also determine value. I think a nice MS-63 in an NGC holder could fetch $300. You could take the coin to a local coin dealer, you might also get an opinion on grade / surfaces. If it is a really nice high grade piece, it might be worth getting it into an NGC holder before selling it, but that opinion varies.

Thanks jesinger! I will try and get a picture of it posted this weekend.

O.K. I am making an attempt at posting two photo's here. This SCD is as I found it. Is cleaning a good thing or bad thing when it comes to these types of collectables? I know cleaning or refinishing is a bad thing on some antiques. If you could provide some kind of input on this SCD as to what I would need to or should do wihit, it wouldbe appreciated. I am no coin collector. Thanks ! DeanO

Nice photo work. This looks like an HK-294. http://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/South_Carolina_Interstate.html First, do not clean it ! Cleaning is usually a bad thing unless you know what you are doing. Second, I think this piece looks uncirculated with some toning/dirt. I'm not sure if there are scratches on the reverse and.or possibly a small area of corrosion at the 1:30 rim. No significant rim dings are seen. I don't think this SCD has been cleaned. So, what to do with it? I'd see what others say (wait a week for others to post here). My sense is that if you sell it on e-bay now, it might fetch $100 or more... given the popularity of so-called dollars at the moment. Sending it to NCS/NGC for preservation/slabbing/holdering could run you $50... probably not entirely worth it... but something a buyer might do. You are not sitting on a huge fortune with this piece, but it's a sought after piece due to popularity. What say others?

Thanks for your input rjesinger! I will sit back and see if others have opinions and advice. I am in no hurry to sell it, and it is fun to learn about something you didn't know anything about until a week ago. I live on the west coast in Oregon, and I know this SCD came out of Vancouver B.C.. The box I found it in was from my ex-wifes grandparents. Thanks again. DeanO

Page 1 of 3Next