So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Similar Pennsylvania SCDs HK-140 and HK-654

HK-138 and 139 I don't think I have ever seen both. It seems there should be more but where are they?

E-Bay bucks: http://pages.ebay.com/rewards/faq.html Cash back on things you buy?. once per quarter.

I'm sure you are all familiar with the so-called dollars surrounding the 200th Anniv of PA (HK-138 to HK-141a), but I didn't realize how similar HK-654 is to HK-140 until I purchased an HK-654 thinking it was an HK-140 in a recent auction... Even the auction house touted it as HK-140 when it was actually HK-654. Note the difference in the dates on the reverse (1908 vs. 1882). This "mistake" was a "win" for me and reminds me of all the buzz around restrikes, where any one of us might buy a restrike thinking it is an original.... (eg. Modern HK-137 restrikes, HK-852-856, numerous Elder pieces, etc).

Bob, interesting that you posted this picture. I worked with the bronze piece that I have but did you notice that on the HK-2 struck over another piece that the underlying piece was probably a pierce with a variation of this early Pennsylvania State Seal? The circle on this piece is same as topp of HK-2. TThe legs to the left side are not men/soldiers legs buthorses legs. The worm like piece in the center of the HK-2 is part of the banner on the state seal. Darkening the piece of the HK-2 pictured helps bring out a lot of the underlying detail more visible. Still going through Betts pieces trying to figure out the early colonial Pennsylvania piece that HK-2 was struck over

I'm sure you are all familiar with the so-called dollars surrounding the 200th Anniv of PA (HK-138 to HK-141a), but I didn't realize how similar HK-654 is to HK-140 until I purchased an HK-654 thinking it was an HK-140 in a recent auction... Even the auction house touted it as HK-140 when it was actually HK-654. Note the difference in the dates on the reverse (1908 vs. 1882). This "mistake" was a "win" for me and reminds me of all the buzz around restrikes, where any one of us might buy a restrike thinking it is an original.... (eg. Modern HK-137 restrikes, HK-852-856, numerous Elder pieces, etc).

A few more PA pieces.... darn hard to find in good condition....

THIS WAS NOT MY POST.  BT