So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So-called dollars from 1961-1964

I agree...this is a great undertaking. I would like to add a few to your list, all of which are medals struck by the US Mint in this time frame, and all should classify as so-called dollars, in my opinion. Jeff already has my book "National Commemorative Medals of the United States Mint" which has detailed information on these pieces, which should help in your efforts. Here's some detailed info for others to see as well. 1962 Century 21 Exposition - Seattle - Struck in 1 5/16" diameter in gold (4) .900 silver (10015) and bronze (140,000) 1962 MacArthur memorial Foundation - Struck in 1 5/16" diameter bronze (10,000) May or may not classify depending on the nature of subjects defined?? 1963 West Virginia Statehood Centennial - Struck in 1 5/16 diameter platinum (20), .900 silver (6000 Prf and Unc), bronze (20,000) 1963 Padre Junipero Serra - 250th Anniversary - Struck in 1 5/16" platinum (25), 14K Gold (5), .900 silver (10,000), bronze (82,000) 1964 Nevada Statehood Centennial - Struck in 1 5/16 diameter .900 silver proof (5000), .900 silver Unc (15,000) 1964 St Louis Bicentennial - Struck in 1 5/16" diameter .900 silver (10,000), bronze (15,000) Contact me if you wish more detailed info...... edited by jdco on 2/13/2012

I also acquired an unusual example of one of the high relief medals. The medals were struck by Metal Arts in Rochester, New York in gold, .999 Fine silver, and bronze. Only a few gold sets were struck. The medals were struck using splash dies, i.e. they were struck without a collar and then the medals were turned to finish the edges and stamped with the makers name and .999 Fine Silver for the silver pieces. I'm assuming the gold pieces had their gold fineness indicated as well. Bronze medals just have the maker's name stamped on the edge. The Space Needle bronze medals were also issued with gold-plating and silver-plating. They can be distinguished from gold and silver by their weight and by the fact they just have the maker's name stamped on the edge. Check before you pay a premium for gold or silver. Now to the second unusual Seattle medal I recently purchased. It is the $1,000,000 display medal in high relief. It is the right size. It kind of looks silver, but it also looks like some kind of steel or white metal. The edge is a dead give away. It has not been turned and is unusual. The dealer I bought it from thought it might be a shell, but I think it is a cast counterfeit. Why someone would copy this medal, I'm not sure. But cast copies exist for other fairs and expositions, so I guess the modern era should be no exception. A genuine silve medal weighs 29,83 grams, this one weights 24.72 gms. I'm posting a link to my photograph on flickr as you need to view a large image to really see the rim and the fuzzy details of the medal: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7041/6868147591_04f29fb44c_o.jpg

I have been working with jeff to collect and catalog the so-calleds from 1961-1964, which will be included in his new book. There were some significant events during this period with corresponding medals. These include the Seatle Worlds Fair in 1962 and the New York Worlds Fair in 1964. Both of these events saw plolific medal production. A number of states celebrated centennials with medals during this period. The Montana medals are probably the most available, with some rarities thrown in. Cities, counties, historical monuments, historical events, and other significant celebrations are included in the medals that qualify as So-Called Dollars from this period. An example of these modern So-Called Dollars is the high relief set sold during the Seattle Worlds Fair. These are beautiful, high relief medals that were sold alone or in nine medal sets at the fair. They appear in both silver and bronze. All of the medals are available on ebay periodically at reasonable prices, although the set prices have been moving up. I would like to get a discussion going on this thread.

Along the same lines of this thread, has anyone seen another one of these HK-633 in bronze or white metal? This is the only one I have ever seen....

Definitely a great topic and Mike's work is an important contribution to the topic. He mentions the Seattle pieces and we are cataloging these for our next book. I'll post the information we have here in more detail in a few days (I'm waiting for an unlisted metal piece to arrive). The high relief sets were also issued in gold (only a few sets) and the Space Needle piece was issued in gold-plated bronze and silver-plated bronze. Three of the designs were struck in low relief brass by a Washington state mint. I'm waiting for a white metal example of one of these and a high relief shell.

Another unlisted Lewis and Clark (Raymond includes the medal on his site). Trantow lists this medal as 32 mm looped. Raymond correctly notes that is is just over 33 mm and therefore so-called dollar sized. My copy is looped, but the loops are added to the medal (as opposed to being included when struck). So, it is a so-called dollar and will be included in our book. edited by bill on 11/16/2012

Outstanding idea and endeavor. Are you going to also do the write ups and reasearch for each so called dollar which qualifies?

I have been working with jeff to collect and catalog the so-calleds from 1961-1964, which will be included in his new book. There were some significant events during this period with corresponding medals. These include the Seatle Worlds Fair in 1962 and the New York Worlds Fair in 1964. Both of these events saw plolific medal production. A number of states celebrated centennials with medals during this period. The Montana medals are probably the most available, with some rarities thrown in. Cities, counties, historical monuments, historical events, and other significant celebrations are included in the medals that qualify as So-Called Dollars from this period. An example of these modern So-Called Dollars is the high relief set sold during the Seattle Worlds Fair. These are beautiful, high relief medals that were sold alone or in nine medal sets at the fair. They appear in both silver and bronze. All of the medals are available on ebay periodically at reasonable prices, although the set prices have been moving up. I would like to get a discussion going on this thread.