So-Called Dollar Discussions

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Truckee Ice Carnival HK-729

This interesting so called dollar has many connections with other historical HK pieces. In the late 1800s, Truckee was a railroad town (Central/Southern Pacific Routes) whos economy was connected with Virginia City, NV, as a large amount of the mined silver and gold from the Comstock load was sent by railroad down to San Francisco. After the silver boom of the 1880s passed, Truckee revived its economy with the introduction of Winter sports. Under the guidance of Charles McGlashan, a Truckee Community leader, the first Truckee Winter Carnival was held in 1894. A key feature of this event was a huge ice-laden tower created by McGlashan. Truckee's ice-themed structures (towers, ice rink, ski jump) became a tourist attraction for snow enthusiasts. Southern Pacific Railroad "Snowball Express" trains transported tourists to Truckee for several decades after 1894 and ultimately led to the development of the winter sports empire that is the Lake Tahoe-Truckee region. The HK-729 piece appears to have been stuck by L. H. Moise Co of San Francisco in the late 1890s. I personally think this piece was made around 1894 with the California Midwinter Expo pieces, or soon thereafter (see HK-245a). HK-729 features an ice palace and toboggan slide on its obverse. Attached is an image of one I own in Gilt Bronze. I have also seen one in Aluminum. Does anyone wish to post others? ... or varieties in different metals? Today, the Lake Tahoe region is a major winter sports destination for Northern California and Nevada. Numerous ski resorts dot the landscape, including Squaw Valley (that hosted the Winter olympics in 1960). Personally, the entire Lake Tahoe area and Northern Nevada is my favorite place to visit as I live in Northern California.

Uploaded files:
  • HK-729.jpeg

There are actually two varieties of the bronze version of the medal (maybe of the aluminum as well although I have not seen one of the other variety). See the article by Jeff and I in the December 2010 Numismatist for our die study demonstrating when the various varieties of the Moise pieces were likely struck. I can send a pdf if you don't have access to a copy of the issue. Drop me an email at bsktmkr at pacbell.net if you would like a copy.